St. Pauli grab their first win of the season against Sandhausen.

St. Pauli finally get their first win of the season.

St. Pauli finally get their first win of the season.

These two sides are the only two sides in the division to have one point and both felt it was time to get their first win of the season. Sandhausen were boosted by a late equaliser against Kaiserslautern in week two, while St. Pauli were looking to bounce back after a very disappointing defeat to Aalen. In the DFB Pokal St. Pauli booked their place in the second round, while Sandhausen crashed out after losing 4-1 against Arminia Bielefeld.

St. Pauli got off to the perfect start after putting Sandhausen under some early pressure they managed to take the lead four minutes into the game. Ante Budimir robbed the ball off Hübner after a long ball forward, the St. Pauli new boy palyed the ball across goal to the unmarked Christopher Nöthe for an easy tap in.

Sandhausen almost levelled things after twelve minutes, Marco Thiede broke down the left and his low cross found it’s way to Alexander Bieler, who was arriving into the box. Despite a good effort on goal he was denied by a wonderful save from Philipp Tschauner.

Sandhausen did finally manage to get an equaliser in the 23rd minute, a freekick into the box was only cleared to Bieler, he fired a shot towards goal, a deflection directed the ball away from goal, however Marc Pfertzel managed to keep it in and played the ball back to René Gartner who easily tapped in from two yards out.

Tschauner was forced into making another good save after a long range effort from Manuel Stiefler. As the game headed towards half time Sandhausen’s Timo Achenbach almost caught out Tschauner with his curling corner, the St. Pauli keeper was alert enough to palm the ball away. Sandhausen continued to threaten Tschauner’s goal and before the break Gartner gave St. Pauli another warning when his shot outside the area went just wide.

Half Time: St. Pauli 1-1 Sandhausen.

Sandhausen continued to threaten early in the second half, Gartler and Thiede both forced Tschauner into action, the St. Pauli keeper kept his side in the game with two great saves.

After some early pressure in the half St. Pauli finally came out of their shell and started to come out on top, Marc Rzatkowski, Nöthe and Budimir all had chances to put their side ahead, however they couldn’t find the target.

Going into the later stages of the game the action went up a notch. Andrew Wooten had a great chance when he he charged towards goal, just as he was entering the box Sören Gonther got back to make the all important tackle. Budimir came close when he found himself on the end of a deep freekick into the box, he managed to direct his header across goal, but he could only watch it bounce wide.

As the game entered injury time St. Pauli earned themselves a corner, Dennis Daube’s corner was met in the air by Lasse Sobiech, his header struck a number of bodies before it fell back to him, the defender’s second effort hit the post, bounced off the back of a defender before heading in. The Millerntor-Stadion erupted and Sandhausen hearts were broken.

Full Time: St. Pauli 2-1 Sandhausen.

It was a very close game and a draw would’ve been a fair result, however it wasn’t to be and St. Pauli grab their first win of the season, Sandhausen will have to wait a bit longer. St. Pauli’s next game is next Monday as they travel to face Greuther Fürth, Sandhausen will host Ingolstadt next Sunday.

Article for VAVEL.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s