Karlsruher SC 1-2 St.Pauli: KSC fall short again as Die Freibeuter come out on top

The Wildparkstadion was bouncing and both fans were brilliant throughout the match as St.Pauli came out winners to worsen Karlsruhe’s start to the season.

Despite having the better of possession Karlsruhe found themselves behind just before the ten minute mark, Enis Alushi delivered a freekick into the area and although Lasse Sobiech was surrounded by four defenders, he still managed to get to the ball first and head across goal and into the top corner.

The hosts thought they found an equaliser in the fourteenth minute, a corner was swung in and Daniel Gordon peeled away to the back post unmarked and his header was hooked off the line by Alushi.

St. Pauli were causing the most problems between the two sides and a second goal came close when Sebastian Maier tried his luck from range, Dirk Orlishausen managed to get across and palm the ball down before Gordon cleared.

Karlsruhe got themselves level just before the half hour mark, Dimitrij Nazarov put in a lovely cross from a freekick out wide and Gordon once again lost his marker and brilliantly headed home with a diving header.

St.Pauli responded well and almost grabbed the lead straight away. Daniel Buballa flew down the right and after being played through by Maier he cut inside, played the ball across the area and unfortunately for the away side Jannik Dehm was alert and rushed across to clear.

They did regain the lead five minutes from the break, a cross was headed away, but only as far as Marcel Halstenberg, his curling effort went over Orlishausen and went in after striking the underside of the bar.

Halstenberg was in the mood for another goal and a long range effort was a great one as it swerved and forced Orlishausen into action once more, the keeper making a fine save to knock the ball out for a corner.

St. Pauli put in a great first half, they didn’t have the ball as much as Karlsruhe, however they made it count when they did.

Early into the second half Karlsruhe came close to levelling things again, Erwin Hoffer spun past Sobiech and charged towards goal. Robin Himmelmann came out to close the angle, however he was helped as Hoffer’s effort was straight at him, Himmelmann did show off some good reactions to save with his feet.

This sadly proved the only real chance in the second half as the quality on show quickly deteriorated, there was still a bit of tempo, however neither keeper was tested as shots flew off target or were quickly cleared away from danger.

Karlsruhe couldn’t use the ball as well as they are capable of and lacked ideas to break down St. Pauli. It was certainly a game of two halves as the first was packed with chances and high quality, the second was hard to watch and not enjoyable.

All that matter though now is the result and St. Pauli fans were delighted at the final whistle as they celebrated the club’s first win of the season to go up into fourth place. Karlsruhe on the other hand have started the season slowly and it’s second defeat of the season. Up next for these two club’s is the DFB Pokal, St. Pauli will be hoping to continue their good start, however they have the tough ask of defeating Borussia Mönchengladbach. Karlsruhe will hope to kick start their season with a win away to Oberliga Baden-Wurttemberg side SSV Reutlingen.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s